IT News @ Virginia Tech
- Jul 11, 2017 Software and hardware procurement services updated Soon, paper forms will no longer be needed, and all software license details will be maintained in one easily accessed location.
- Jun 26, 2017 Virginia Tech’s Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering hosts cybersecurity camp for high school teachers The department will host two GenCyber teacher camps for 50 high school teachers from across the country for the second year.
- Feb 22, 2017 Virginia Cyber Range names Amazon Web Services as preferred partner AWS will join the Commonwealth of Virginia and Virginia Tech to support scalable cloud infrastructure and collaborate on cybersecurity educational efforts, enabling the Cyber Range with both content and a closed network for hands-on exercises, competitions, and other simulations.
- Feb 01, 2017 Documentary, panel discussion about women and minorities in STEM and computing set for Feb. 7 Virginia Tech is hosting a public screening of “CODE: Debugging the Gender Gap,” on Feb. 7. CODE is a documentary that explores the history of women and minorities in the field of computer science and discusses the benefits, challenges, and struggles of underrepresented groups in the STEM fields.
- Dec 21, 2016 Downtown Blacksburg’s GoGig service joins eduroam wireless network A collaboration between Virginia Tech and GoGig has resulted in the merging of the Wi-Fi network in downtown Blacksburg with the international eduroam network.
- Oct 25, 2016 Aras Memisyazici appointed network architect for the Virginia Cyber Range In his new position, Memisyazici will define needs and develop technical strategy for the Virginia Cyber Range, a newly formed virtual center aimed at creating a state-of-the-art platform for cybersecurity education in Virginia.
- Sep 21, 2016 Virginia Cyber Range to enhance cybersecurity education across the commonwealth The initiative will provide advanced cybersecurity training exercises for high school and college students, positioning Virginia to become a leading source of critical cybersecurity expertise for the nation.
Division of IT - Twitter
Aug 14, 2017
Summer program teaches coding to teenage girls from North Africa and the Middle East @TechGirls - https://vtnews.vt.edu/photo-galleries/2017/eng-TechGirls.html …
Aug 12, 2017
Absolutely. Campuses should be a place for open discussion and learning, not violence and hate. https://twitter.com/VTSandsman/status/896441360445829120 …
Aug 09, 2017
Building diversity demands intellectual freedom. https://code.likeagirl.io/actually-i-was-biologically-designed-to-be-an-engineer-460ab0c377dc …
Aug 05, 2017
HokieSPA is down for maintenance this weekend - comes back up Sunday at 5pm. https://twitter.com/registrarrickvt/status/893625770098249729 …
- Aug 04, 2017
Aug 04, 2017
Don't be surprised if you lose cable signal on campus for a few seconds here and there today #optimizing #sacrificesmustbemade https://twitter.com/VT_NIS/status/893480068412002304 …
IT Events Calendar
- Aug 17, 2017 Torgersen Hall 3080 BreakIT Coffee Break Join members of the IT Advisory Council for a cuppa! Drop in event with coffee, donuts, and good conversation with council members and your fellow co-workers in the Division.
- Sep 02, 2017 Torgersen Hall 3100 NRV Container Day Virtual containers, tangible benefits! This one-day event is designed to help you get up and running with Docker. Come in knowing nothing and leave knowing what it takes to run containerized applications. If you bring an app, we can even help containerize it.
- Sep 05, 2017 Torgersen Hall 1100 Faculty Course Design Showcase This event celebrates the work of faculty who have developed courses with Learning Experience Design in Technology-enhanced Learning & Online Strategies (TLOS) during Summer 2017. The informal format allows people to drop in at their convenience and enjoy light refreshments as they explore and discuss the interactive courses in a casual atmosphere. NLI credit will be awarded to those attending.
- Sep 13, 2017 Common Solutions Group (CSG) Fall 2017 Meeting The Fall 2017 CSG Workshops and Meeting will be held at Virginia Tech on 13-15 September 2017. Meeting content will include sessions on Campus Safety and Security, and Big Data Analytic Tools and AI's impact on higher education.
- Sep 14, 2017 Common Solutions Group (CSG) Fall 2017 Meeting The Fall 2017 CSG Workshops and Meeting will be held at Virginia Tech on 13-15 September 2017. Meeting content will include sessions on Campus Safety and Security, and Big Data Analytic Tools and AI's impact on higher education.
- Sep 15, 2017 Common Solutions Group (CSG) Fall 2017 Meeting The Fall 2017 CSG Workshops and Meeting will be held at Virginia Tech on 13-15 September 2017. Meeting content will include sessions on Campus Safety and Security, and Big Data Analytic Tools and AI's impact on higher education.
- Oct 05, 2017 3080 Torgersen Hall Brown Bag Lunch with the Deputy CIO Bring a bring lunch, or just stop by to talk. This is an informal opportunity to discuss topics that may be of interest to you, and help gauge how things are going from your perspective. We live in a dynamic time of change for VT and within the Division, but this is our new norm. It is important that we keep the conversation going & the solutions flowing. Scot Ransbottom is planning to hold similar sessions 3 or 4 times per year across campus.